Patrick Joseph Gauthier
Patrick brings to bear twenty (20) years experience in management and executive positions in healthcare, insurance and consulting sectors. He has worked in the public, private and non-profit sectors throughout his career and each has enabled him to influence healthcare delivery systems. His leadership experience includes marketing, provider contracting, customer service and medical management. He has served as a senior consultant to the insurance, government and healthcare sectors assisting each with process improvement initiatives designed to achieve compliance, accreditation, automation and/or quality improvement objectives.
Patrick has served as a manager, senior executive and professional consultant in the healthcare sector since 1989. His work experience has emphasized state and federal public health as well as commercial managed care including Medicaid health plans. Most recently, Patrick has consulted with commercial and private health plans as well as healthcare providers in areas of operational improvement and technology adoption. Each of his engagements and projects aims to facilitate efficiency goals, quality improvement initiatives, overall performance enhancements and/or compliance with new regulations and mandates. His particular expertise includes: evaluation and assessment of conditions in the workplace, group facilitation and training, strategic planning, organizational dynamics, operational alignment and project management.
Patrick’s career from 1989 to 1995 included management roles in:
- Adolescent residential treatment settings in public/private partnership
- Acute psychiatric hospital settings
- A drug and alcohol detoxification center
Between 1995 and 2005, he served as Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) and Chief Operations Officer (COO) for a national insurer dedicated to mental health and addiction. He has been responsible for nation-wide crisis-call center operations, customer service, eligibility & enrollment, utilization management, case management and provider contracting. He has been principally responsible for new product development, new business development, marketing and customer support. Since 2005, Patrick has been consulting organizations of all sizes in the healthcare and insurance fields.
Patrick began documenting and designing workflow and business processes in BPMS (software) applications in the year 2000. He is an experienced process analyst and designer and, as Chief Operations Officer, developed a process and metric-driven executive performance management program based upon a model developed to span the entire organization.
Patrick is an engaging trainer and public speaker whose education includes studies in psychology and master-class certification in neuro-linguistic programming (NLP). His professional interests include application of the Lean methodology and developing business intelligence. He is the author of a popular web blog titled Workflow IQ.
· Worked closely with large, urban communities to transform electronic health record keeping, healthcare claims management processes, and electronic data interchange (EDI).
· Facilitated approach to transformation of business practices in commercial Medicaid health plan’s coverage of uninsured.
· Led the development of strategic partnerships with multiple insurers integrating medical and mental health operations.
· Developed drug-addicted prisoner re-entry programs with an emphasis on safe and accountable rehabilitation and family reunification with state department of correction.
· Designed and implemented thorough Continuous Quality Improvement initiatives for public health programs and produced measurable results in quality and outcomes.
· Led re-engineering of clinical audit initiatives including tools, scoring, simulation methodologies and statistically valid metrics.
· Led project team that studied and implemented evidence-based programs for the treatment of drug and alcohol abusing pregnant women.
· Active member of core team that implemented the Government Performance & Results Act.
· Led strategic planning initiative to develop a statewide methamphetamine-use elimination plan. Included facilitating large groups of stakeholders representing wide array of public health, law enforcement, education, prevention and corrections officials.
· Served as president on two boards of directors. Currently president of Lotus Outreach International which is dedicated to reversing effects of poverty and slavery with education and healthcare in Cambodia and India.